The Great Kitchen Window Covering Caper!

Happy Monday, everyone!

It’s been a little while since I’ve updated you  all on the completion of the kitchen update, phase 2, and also alluded to a great escapade I like to call the Great Kitchen Window Covering Caper. Honestly, I had no idea that the most difficult part of our kitchen would be the window covering, but alas, it was.

Before the kitchen update, I changed the window covering twice. I made make-shift cafe curtains first from black and white striped fabric, then from leftover pieces of a drop-cloth I used to make pillows. I honestly wasn’t planning on changing the curtains, but then my husband bent the cafe rod, and the drop-cloth looked dingy against the new beautiful white counter tops.

I decided that I wanted Roman Shades, but after researching the cost, I decided that this was definitely something I could DIY. So I headed over to Pinterest and found a plethora of DIY Roman Shade tutorials. THIS IS IT! I thought to myself. This is going to be so great. Not only am I going to save tons of money, but I will also make a tutorial! Little did I know this was the beginning of a fiasco.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $3 set of blinds and got to work on my DIY Roman Shade. Luckily I found a YouTube video on how to do this because the blog tutorials I found weren’t as clear as I had hoped.

Let me be clear-there was NOTHING good about this DIY Roman shade business. It was very unpleasant and tedious, and when I got done with it, it looked TERRIBLE. I used mod podge as the glue, which made the fabric very stiff, and the folds didn’t look elegant at all!!

20160202_183234

This is the only photo I still have from that sad, pathetic attempt. I hated it so much I deleted most of the photos.

After I got over the initial shock of the epic fail that was the DIY Roman shade, and the 2-3 hours I lost, I decided to just make a curtain.  I got overly anxious about my fabric choice, which took me about 3 weeks to decide on. I ordered the fabric online (vintage ticking gray ticking stripes) and excitedly waited for it to show up……

When the fabric showed up, however, I was not impressed. The fabric I received did NOT look like the fabric I ordered. Yes, it was ticking stripes, but the fabric itself was a bit yellowish and the stripes looked hunter green, NOT gray.

Whatever, I told myself. I will make this work!! I pinned the fabric, sewed, and hung. Once I hung it, though, I knew that I had made another mistake. This was NOT how I wanted this to look! By that point, I was about ready to throw in the towel.

20160319_160230 20160319_160305

But I proceeded to try again. I had a left over sheet from our bedspread that I decided I would use to make another set up curtains, but after I cut the fabric and hung it to see what it would look like before I sewed, I really did throw in the towel. The window covering fiasco left me sad and defeated.

At this point, I was all out of DIY motivation. I found a Roman Shade from the Pottery Barn that I liked, and was even willing to spend the $200+ on it just so I wouldn’t have to worry about the damn shade anymore.

Then, I figured I’d check Ebay to see if they had it. LO AND BEHOLD, someone was selling one for only $125!!!!!!!!!!! I overflowed with joy at this discovery, and quickly purchased the shade. It arrived quickly, and was VERY easy to install.

BUT THEN….I realized that my new light doesn’t extend a lot, which meant that I would have to install the shade below it. FRUSTRATING!!

20160411_111821 20160411_111833

So, this is a story that is not yet completed. We have decided that in order to make the light extend far enough out so I can put the shade at the top of the window, we are going to mount it on a painted board. But until I gather the gumption to do that, I am happy to know that I have a beautiful Roman Shade that lets the sunlight in, but blocks the view at night.

Everyone has DIY fails, everyone makes measurement mistakes, and sometimes it’s just best to suck it up and deal with it another day.

I hope you’re having a wonderful Monday!

La Rae

2 thoughts on “The Great Kitchen Window Covering Caper!

    1. La Rae Awakened Post author

      Hi Joyce, thanks for the comment! Honestly, we haven’t fixed the light situation yet, but I’m sure once we do it will be an easy one!!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *